The Hydrogen Utilization & Green Energy (HUGE) project is a 1.4 million 3 year project, which started on the 1st of June 2019. The project is funded by the Northern Periphery and Arctic (NPA) Programme, under priority Axis 3 – Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy. HUGE ambition is to raise awareness of the use of green hydrogen as a viable energy vector for remote and rural communities in housing, transport, and industry.
The HUGE project aims:
• To provide communities with energy security and self-sufficiency through increasing awareness and facilitating uptake of hydrogen utilization from excess renewable energy.
• To increase the awareness of hydrogen as a viable energy option for a variety of end uses in the public infrastructure domain -housing, transport and industry.
• To facilitate the decision- making and implementation of hydrogen solutions for public infrastructures and energy storage, suitable for cold climates and dispersed settlements.
The HUGE project will achieve the above through:
• Provide the necessary tools to assess the hydrogen renewable energy chain opportunities in the NPA area and beyond.
• Increase readiness to invest in integrated hydrogen solutions suitable for constructing, maintaining and running housing and public infrastructures.
• Facilitate decision- making by building capacity in infrastructure providers to exploit the abundance of natural resources to their full potential through raising awareness about the benefits that can be delivered by employing a hydrogen economy.